What Steps can Help you to Regain or Retain Your Health?
1. Become more active. This means moving more throughout your day, including getting up from the sitting position often. Stretch often, start practicing yoga or pilates at home. Going for walks or finding a reason to take the stairs instead of an elevator are also great ideas.
2. Take a day for Food Preparation. Find one day during the week where you can plan meals for the week and then create shopping lists. Go and obtain all of the ingredients that you will need to prepare all of the meals and then do your food preparation for the week. Have foods ready to be cooked quickly by ensuring that they have been readied ahead of time and can be easily combined for healthy meal choices.
3. Walk Everywhere. Take a walk instead of getting on a bus or a train, another alternative is biking. Purchase a fitness tracker and compete with friends to see who can get the most steps. You can even speak to your employer about providing incentives or fun prizes for those who have the most weekly steps. A little competition among coworkers can be a great way to get into better shape without even working at it that hard. Everyone should try to get at least 10,000 steps each day at a minimum, but of course, more is always better.
4. Go to Bed Earlier. Try going to bed 15 or 30 minutes sooner than you normally would. If you don’t feel tired right away, try reading a book or doing meditation to relax so that you can get to sleep more quickly. Your body needs between seven and eight hours of sleep each night because this is the amount of time required for your brain to complete enough sleep cycles to process your day.
5. Brown Bag It. Prepare lunches ahead of time. Regardless if you are working from home or at the office, prepping your lunches instead of ordering out is a great idea to help you become healthier. Making your lunches ahead of time will also ensure you are not snacking too much or too often.
As you start to make small changes you will notice that it becomes easier and easier to make the right choices. You will start to feel more rested, more energetic and happier once you start to move more and eat less. It may seem that you are missing out on things that have become familiar, but lifestyle changes are worth the results that come to you with a little hard work.
Another side effect of living well is looking younger, so don’t be surprised if people start to comment on your youthful appearance. Choosing a healthier lifestyle is a decision that you have to make, a promise to yourself and a commitment to those in your life that you have decided to be around for the long term.